There's An App For That!
If you can think of a problem, there'll be an app to solve it. With a total of 5,703,500 apps available across Google Play, iOS, Windows Store, Amazon & Blackberry, and with more being added every day, there's bound to be one that can help you out. Here are some of the apps that we use on a daily basis, and some that would benefit anyone working in an office environment.
The three apps that we use the most are based around construction and design, because that's what we do!
1. Siteworks: We generally use this to monitor the progress of a project and for snagging, once the project is complete. When a project has been handed over, there are sometimes things that need to be touched up, or changed slightly, and this app is perfect for noting down all the details. A photo can be taken of the snag, details written down, and all the snags can be categorised by trade or subcontractor. Once all of the snags for each contractor have been grouped together, the app turns the list into a PDF that can be emailed to the appropriate person, so they know what they've got to do. Available on the App Store. Lite version is free, full version is £29.99.
2. Paper by 53: This is a sketching/drawing app that we use for initial drawings & designs. Its most useful feature is the ability to take a photo while using the app, and drawing on top of it, to create a certain look. It can be used more generally for simple sketches and has a variety of virtual 'tools' like a pencil, fine liner, fountain pen, highlighter, paintbrush and a roller, as well as a ruler for more precise drawings. A 'pencil' stylus can be purchased from the 53 website, that makes using the app all the easier. Available free on the App Store.
3. DistoSketch: This clever app connects to our laser measuring tool, the Disto. When you've measured something, it appears on the app on a grid background, to enable you to recreate whatever you're measuring, on-screen. You can then sketch on top of this to show any planned alterations. Available free on the App Store and Google Play.
Offices can be busy and hectic places, so why not use apps to keep everyone calm and collected?
1. iPassword: We all know how annoying it is to have to remember what seems like a million different passwords for websites, and this app knows it too, so it keeps all your passwords safe in one place, with just one password to access them - just make sure you don't forget that one... Available free on the App Store and Windows Store.
2. Harvest: Tracking projects and everyone who's working on them can be tricky, so Harvest does the work for you. All you have to do is input the project and who should be doing what, and when, and it'll send you reminders when things need to be done, and enables everyone to see what's going on. We tried Harvest, but because we all work together in one office and can communicate really easily, we didn't feel like it benefited us. However, if you're a medium-sized company and have different people in different places, it could be really useful. Available free on the App Store.
3. Endomondo: Wellbeing is really important when it comes to the workplace. After all, a healthy workforce is a productive one, so get everyone to download this app on their smartphone, and it'll provide them with hints and tips on how to stay active at work. It reminds you to drink water, and tracks the number of steps you take and the amount of exercise you've done during the day. Available free on the App Store, Google Play and Windows Store.
4. Moving Van: Re-locating your office can be mega-stressful, but we definitely recommend this app for the week of your move. It allows the user to input which items went in which box, by digitally labelling the boxes. You can also give your box a location for the other end of its journey, meaning they always end up in the right place. Available for £1.49 on the App Store.
5. Evernote: This app is extremely popular with, well, pretty much anyone who likes to stay organised, but especially during the working day. You can create to-do lists, make notes on projects, meetings, briefs; essentially anything you can think of. These notes can be categorised into work and home, or freelance/office work, making it easy for you to organise your thoughts. Available on the App Store, Google Play and Windows Store.
It's easy to make those Monday mornings less stressful; all it takes is a 30 second download and a few minutes of your time to get organised. Happy app-ing!