Brighton for Business!
Today, after a very long wait, the British Airways i360 is opening its doors to the crowds of tourists & locals who have been itching to give it a try. It's one of the most ambitious commercial construction projects in the UK since The Shard appeared on the London skyline, and nothing like it has ever been attempted in Brighton before. As a city, we're known for being on the front line of innovation in pretty much every area because here, anything goes. So maybe that's why, in 2015, there were more start-ups per capita in Brighton than anywhere else in the UK. As a company that specialises in office refurbishments, this is good news for us, because growing businesses need space to thrive, and that's what we offer. Here are a few reasons why Brighton & business go so well together:
- 8,000,000 tourists visit Brighton every year come rain or shine. Even in the depths of winter, families brave the famous beach and take shelter in restaurants and shops all over town, so that's a massive market on top of our population of 281,200.
- Brighton sits on the coast, less than an hour from London and half an hour from Gatwick by train (unless, of course, you're travelling with Southern Rail...). We're well connected by road too, with the A27, the gateway to the South West, the A23 that goes North to the M23, the M25 and beyond, and the A259 that snakes along the coast from Folkestone to Emsworth. Two daily ferries depart to Dieppe from neighbouring Newhaven, so Europe is easily accessible.
- 97,200 people of working age have NVQ Level 4/equivalent qualifications, and there's a student population of over 35,000 from the city's two major universities, Brighton & Sussex. This means there are plenty of part-time employees during term-time, and once they've graduated, this city can be pretty hard to leave, so they'll be looking for permanent work too. Every year, a fresh bunch of qualified young people are set free into the world of work, and Brighton is the perfect place to take advantage of that. There are even specific programmes like CENTRIM at Brighton University, that matches graduates to local business in their area of expertise.
- Employment doesn't come cheap though, the average weekly salary is joint 3rd highest in the UK, at £571. This is sort of necessary however, when the average property price hits an eye-watering £285,206, and the average monthly rent for a one-bedroom flat is £915. This may sound steep, but it reflects the growing appeal of Brighton as 'London by the sea', and as a centre of culture, innovation, and free-thinking.
The i360 isn't the only major development in Brighton at the moment - three more huge projects have been given the go-ahead:
- Circus Street - 'Grow Brighton' as the project has been dubbed, is a high-quality, sustainable mixed-use development, which will provide a new library & teaching space for the University of Brighton, an employment space aimed at start-ups, residential units, student accommodation and retail. It's expected to create 400 jobs, and inject £200m into Brighton's economy over ten years. Developers are saying that it's a new genre of urban development with green walls, green roofs, 78 new trees and allotments that will produce over 200kg of food for residents every year.
- Preston Barracks - This site on Lewes Road, previously used by the military, has been empty for years, but has been promised a £150m boost that will deliver new employment space, new university buildings, student accommodation with 1300 rooms, 350 quality new homes, and 25,000 square feet of retail space.
- West Street - Plans for a £540m redevelopment of West Street have been approved by councillors in Brighton. A new 10,000-seat exhibiton & live music venue and the extension of Churchill Square shopping centre down to Kings Road have been discussed, as well as pedestrianising the whole area in the style of La Rambla in Barcelona.
Rocket Projects love supporting local businesses by providing them with the space to thrive - here's what they've got to say about us!
"Thank you for creating our space, you guys rock! Excellent company!"
- Anita Drozd-Alkin, Owner, YouJuice.
"Excellent fit out project by Rocket Projects. A great company to work with."
- Krishna Money, Director, Platform Group.
"A fantastic job - no concerns at all, would recommend their services to others."
- Nina Lomax, Office Manager, Iris Connect.